Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. GATE 2020 will be conducted for 25 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and it would be distributed over 1st, 2nd, 8th & 9th of February.
The GATE examination centers are spread in different cities across India, as well as, in six cities outside India. The examination would be purely a Computer Based Test (CBT). The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of examination data. Note that the GATE 2020 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
Highlights of GATE 2020 are:
- Examinations for all papers would be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online exam will have Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Questions where answers are to be keyed in by the candidates using virtual keypad
- GATE 2020 examinations are to be held on February 1-2, 2020 & February 8-9, 2020 (Saturdays and Sundays only)
- For GATE 2020 the entire process of filling up application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc. is online and the candidates need not send any hard copy of their application form/documents, etc. to any of the IIT/IISc zonal GATE office
- The payment of application fees is online through different modes like net banking or e-challan
- Candidates have to download their admit cards from GATE 2020 website
- GATE 2020 score is valid for 3 yrs from the date of Result Announcement
- GATE 2020 will be conducted for 25 subjects.
- Concession on application fees if the candidates apply On or Before 24th Sept. 2019
- The GATE examination centres are spread in different cities across India, as well as, in six cities outside India.
Opportunities through GATE:
- Tech/M.S./ M.E. – Candidates on qualifying GATE, get a financial aid of 12400/- per month in the form of UGC scholarship. After the completion of course students get lucrative campus placements in National and International, private or public companies.
- – Candidates with keen interest in Research and Development can also opt for PhD from IITs/NITs and various other reputed institutions.
- PGDM/PGDIE -Students interested in management can swing in the management line by pursuing a PG Diploma of 2 years in Industrial Engineering. NITIE Mumbai offers the best campus placement after the completion of this course.
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruit on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Junior Research Associates/ Senior Project Associates
- Scientists “C” grade jobs
- Career in Research & Development
- Many renowned private firms shortlist candidates for personal interview based on the GATE score.
- A good number of universities abroad also select the candidates on the basis of the GATE score for their M.S or PhD programmes.